Thursday, June 26, 2014

#ThrowbackThursday: My 1st Blog Entry Studying Abroad



 
Hard to believe it was already over four years ago that we set sail for Barcelona (just to clarify, we actually traveled by plane, not by boat). The we refers to Tom, my boyfriend, and I who both always desired to study abroad in Spain! We settled on the city of Barcelona, which was a really great choice if I say so myself. What an incredible city! From Gaudi to Tapas, everything is no pasa nada. A vibrant city full of culture and color, with a city-beach personality all it's own.  In honor of #tbt, I would like to share a blog entry from my 20-year-old self during my first week of arriving in Barcelona Spring 2010. Hope you enjoy!


"I have finally sat down, listened to my dad's advice and looked into creating a blog. And here it is! People can give you advice, but it's not worth anything unless you make it worth something. Then that something can be passed on to others as well. So here it goes...


Hola todos! I have officially been in Barcelona for over a week, and to describe it in one word: "wow." It is hard, to nearly impossible, to prepare yourself for experiences like these. In my case studying abroad in a different country that communicates with a different language, and take classes at a different school, where simply put there are a lot of "differences." As I am learning in my Inequality, Poverty and Globalization class, the differences between Spain and The States are fewer than many other countries, where there are dramatic differences in lifestyle and culture. Here it is fun to learn the customs of Spanish culture, once you fully immerse yourself in them. I am living with Señora Marta, 'my mom away from my mom.' She really makes me feel at home, she is caring, crazy and funny. Just like my mom.

We live in an ideal location of Barcelona, a few blocks down from the outstanding Sagrada Familia, one of the famous Spanish architect Gaudi's best work in Barcelona. We are also walking distance to one of the campuses I am studying at, San Pau. It is beautiful as well. I have yet to explore much of this lively city and all it has to offer, but I have seen a few amazing things so far. La fin de semana pasada, my roommate Heather and I walked from our house to the beach (about a 30 min walk, also why we have a great location!) And I saw the Mediterranean Sea for the first time. Soo cool! It was a little overcast, but still gorgeous along the beach. Then we met up with Tom, my amazing boyfriend who is sharing this expedition with me! We all walked to the Marina as it got dark, and all the boats were swaying slowly in the wind as the lights reflected on the water. Que bonita. Then we explored some more, seeing the Colombus Monument standing tall in the middle of a roundabout street, and the beginning of the lively Las Ramblas walking street. That is full of locals, tourists and probably over-priced souvenirs, but also lined with chairs to people-watch. Flower stands line the walkway, as well as vendors that sell small animals, which I found really funny. Lots of small birds and rodents for sell.

Also the other night Tom and I met at Sagrada Familia and took a walk around the area. There is a little park and pond in front of the side I live near. We sat on a bench as we admired the amazingness of being here, looking at the incredibly detailed structure's lit up reflection in the pond, and each other. Really, truly awesome.

I just finished another funny meal with Marta and Heather (my roommate), where Heather and I take a good amount of time to explain a short story in Spanish, but we are getting better :) I just finished some Spanish homework, skyped with mom and Jess (my sister) and now tiempo para domir!
Buenos Noches - Ciao for now!"

No comments:

Post a Comment