Monday, February 27, 2012

Covering the Film Independent Spirit Awards

Saturday I got to cover the Film Independent Spirit Awards with reporter Sophie and the rest of the THR team. The award ceremony, the day before the Oscars, was beachfront and had a huge celeb turnout; not a bad way to spend a Saturday.

It was really fun to see lots of celebs, watch Sophie interview winners like the legendary Christopher Plummer (in the business for 60 years!) who won the Spirit Award for Best Supporting Actor in Beginners, which was a great movie. How awesome that I got to see him up-close and personal, the Captain, I mean come on!

It was an averagely long day. We arrived in Santa Monica around 10a.m. and then left around 5p.m. (Mind an hour for traffic on either end). Free lunch is always a nice bonus. Asparagus, prime rib, wild rice, etc. They also had open bar and sodas/drinks for any press. I took a quick look in the press room where the winners go directly after winning to answer questions about their wins. That was cool, to see how that works. Seth Rogan walked by our THR tent as he was ready to get on stage to start the show, his first time hosting. Sophie asked everyone that came in how Seth was doing, and they were raving. He was funny, witty and his usual potty-mouth self. Stacey from THR said, "Good luck Seth!" As he walked by and he responded, "Thank you." Then she turned to me, "Why not, right?"
 



 Then there were up-and-comers like Shailene Woodley who gave an amazing performance as George Clooney's daughter in The Descendants. Watching Sophie interview all these great people was really cool, and made me think what I would ask and learn from her questions. 
I also watched a photoshoot with Oscar-nominated My Week With Marilyn star Michelle Williams, who took home the Spirit Award. I watched her and friend/fellow actress Busy Phillips have fun in some photos for THR. They both looked super cute, as they made a few quick quirky poses for the camera. The photographers seemed to get some great unique shots out of a quick five minute max photoshoot each time. I felt like I was hosting a tent at a festival, like Spirit West Coast or at the State Fair, but with tons of celebs and a behind-the-scenes experience of an award show. I made some great THR connections and took home some Resse's and 2 packs of Fiji water. Overall, experience = Awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment